From:
"Bliss, Donald" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:14:34 +0000
I have seen Mark Twain Tonight about once a decade since the 1950's. It was at the Warner Theater in Washington DC, however,  after the invasion of Iraq and while Congress was up to its usual partisan bickering that I was inspired to write my book about Mark Twain and Politics, Mark Twain's Tale of Today. Carefully selecting his material, Holbrook had the audience roaring in laughter at his comments about Congress and then you could hear a pin drop in stony silence when he spoke about American Imperialism and the occupation of foreign lands. Twain was as relevant that evening as any  contemporary Cable TV talking head.

I had an opportunity to talk to Holbrook after the opening of The Merchant of Venice at the Shakespeare Theatre in DC (he played Shylock). He said that doing Twain enabled him to earn a living so he could venture out into challenging stage acting.  He is an accomplished actor of many dimensions.

Don Bliss