From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2013 07:53:30 -0500
The producer of the Award, Peter Kaminsky, was at Elmira, as many people
know on here;  and we learned then about the problem of getting people to
accept and appear, which is a prerequisite.  It also explains why the likes
of Woody Allen have never won the award.  I've been one of the main critics
of recent selections, so that info helped-- at least a little.

I've been advocating some of the old-timers for a long time, and mentioned
it to Peter.  Carol Burnett is such a great choice:  she and her wonderful
cast (esp. Tim Conway and Harvey Korman) produced truly must see TV for me
and my Mom and sibs, growing up.  Really funny and just so much FUN!  She
was such a pioneer!

By the way, the humor in America blog has a great report of the conference
if you have not seen it, including John Bird's wonderful videos (plural)
and the funny one featuring Alec Baldwin as MT:

http://humorinamerica.wordpress.com/2013/08/09/twainstock2013-reviewed/

--
Prof. Harold K. Bush
Professor of English