From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 18:16:07 +0000
I haven't seen any of the term papers being sold through Internet
sites like www.schoolsucks.com, but I would be surprised if they
include many citations of online materials because they change
addresses so frequently that it would be hard for them to
keep them up to date.

I just tried searching for the phrase "Southern Truth" through
InfoSeek (http://www.infoseek.com/) and HotBot
(http://www.hotbot.com/) and found nothing.  You could try that for
other unique or unusual phrases.  With Infoseek, put the phrase in
quotation marks; with HotBot, use the "Exact Phrase" search option.

Some students really get into their research when they can do it by
"surfing the web."  Let's hope that was the case here.

On a related note, Barron's Booknotes for two of Twain's novels
are now online:

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
http://www.kidzone.com/ecc/huckfin.htm

Tom Sawyer
http://www.kidzone.com/ecc/tomswyr.htm

I found these a few weeks ago and have been debating whether or not I
should add links to them from the Mark Twain site
(http://marktwain.miningco.com/).  The Resource List there doesn't
have a page for materials like that and I was thinking that if I
added them it might be good to put the links in the Teaching
Resources section.  Any thoughts on that from teachers?

Also, a CD-ROM version of the Cliff Notes for Huckleberry Finn is in
preparation that will include links to online materials.  The sofware
developer just contacted me to request permission to link to a 1902
newspaper article about the banning of the book that is online in one
of my web sites.

Although the Internet might make it easier to access some materials
like those, it also makes it easier to check quotes through
full-text search engines like InfoSeek and Hotbot.  They wont find
text from a term paper sold through a business like
www.schoolsucks.com, but those have always been around anyway,
advertising in the backs of comic books instead of on the web.

Jim Zwick