From:
Dennis & Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:06:29 -0800
Ryan Bell, a junior at the high school where my wife teaches, suggested
during their discussion of "Huckleberry Finn" that Huck's description of
the food at the Widow Douglas's mirrors the issue of race.  Her food is
nicely segregated, reflecting Southern values.  Huck prefers his food
all mixed up so the juice can swap around, a neatly desegregated view,
mirroring how he will come to view Jim.  I don't recall having
encountered this read before, and find it amazing how practically every
little item in the book resonates throughout.  Anyway, I pass this along
to the forum for whatever it may be worth.

dennis eddings