From:
Wolfgang Hochbruck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 2021 11:26:58 +0200
...sounds to me as if he was reading something about Poe. Who at that
time was already hailed as a genius, who had written poetry that wasn't
exactly of the easy-access type, and whose ignominious end in the
gutter was widely known --
Does that sound like a possibility?

w.

Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Hochbruck