Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:16:59 -0800
From:
Richard Reineccius <[log in to unmask]>
Cindy - But I think it was the companion dog, LAZARUS, that he wrote about, and for whom/which the whole town turned out for the famous SOB's funeral. It really was a big event here, the story goes.
Norton actually owned one of the mutts, and the other one was simply a pal who attached himself to the royalty. Norton himself, a bankrupt gold-seeker, spent time on both sides of the SF Bay, and was as famous in Berkeley as in Bagdad-By-The-Bay. I'll check the SF History Center at the Library to see if they have a pic file.

Richard R.