Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:55:19 -0600
Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From: Tracy Wuster <[log in to unmask]>
Hello all,
I have attached a message below about the formation of a humor studies
caucus as part of the American Studies Association.  This caucus grew from a
dinner that followed a panel on humor studies that was put together via the
Mark Twain listserve.  I am hoping to work with the American Humor Studies
Association and the Mark Twain Circle to promote this new venture as a good
space to present work on humor studies and on Mark Twain.  Please feel free
to contact me with questions.

Best,

Tracy
----
Hello All,

Following the panel, "American Humor in Theory and Practice: A Discussion,"
at
this year's ASA meeting in Albuquerque, the panelists (Judith Yaross Lee,
Lanita Jacobs-Huey, Gillian Johns, Amy Ware, and myself) decided to look
into forming a Humor Studies Caucus as part of the ASA.  We have done some
initial work and are at the stage of gauging interest and contacting parties
who may be interested.  Since caucuses are, to quote the ASA, "the populist
side of the American Studies Association," we are looking for people who
want to participate in planning the caucus and putting together panels for
next year's ASA.

The main benefits of a caucus are:
1) to provide a (somewhat) organized networking space to plan panels on
humor
2) to sponsor one official panel per year
3) to "thread" panels on humor to not overlap, and possibly to be all on one
day
4) to have a business meeting to discuss future goals and panels

The first step going forward is for you to decide if you would like to
participate in the caucus.  If so, please email Tracy Wuster (
[log in to unmask]) and you will be put on a mailing list.  The mailing list
will have two initial functions: to plan panels for next year and to work on
a mission statement.  We can then complete the ASA caucus registration,
which is to "submit a description, including their rationale and purpose, an
agenda with their plans and goals, and contact information."  The ASA
provides space for a webpage, as well.  Additionally, I have been in contact
with the American Humor Studies Association about coordinating with that
organization to promote our caucus and ASA as a site for humor studies
scholarship.

If you are interested in participating, please email me.  Additionally,
please forward this invitation to other scholars who might be interested in
being part of the humor studies caucus.

Best,

Tracy Wuster
Ph.D. Candidate