Mon, 5 May 1997 09:23:44 -0500
1.  The current issue (May 5) of the conservative opinion magazine
WEEKLY STANDARD has a review of Andrew Hoffman's INVENTING MARK
TWAIN, written by Malcolm Bradbury.  It will be of interest to
those who followed the recent outbreak of hysteria on the list.
Bradbury also has some large generalizations about Twain's place
in American literature--to wit, "America's greatest writer."

2.  The History Channel has scheduled a half-hour "biography"
of Twain tomorrow (Tuesday May 6) at 6:30 EDT.  This is a repeat,
and I believe I've seen it before.  It's not very good, but
nevertheless. . . .  It's preceded (shouldn't it be followed?) at
6 by a similar program on Will Rogers.

Glen Johnson