From:
Timothy Short <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 05:03:58 EST
I am posting this in hopes of compiling responses for a project of mine.  I
am
concerned with the sociolinguistic aspects (i.e., the relationship of
language
shaping society and vice versa) in Mark Twain's work.  I ask, To what degree
does Twain view language as a shaper of reality?  Obviously, there is a
decided fascination with dialect and lack of understanding in Twain's work.
Another tangent: Does Twain see language as a pre-determined cycle or an
undetermined aspect of human existence?   If you do not want your name cited
in my little project, please do not reply.

Thanks,
Tim Short
Indiana University at Fort Wayne