From:
Robert Slotta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 14:30:06 -0400
Duane,

Thanks for looking up "perturbate" for me in the OED last month. I have an
envelope that once belonged to Mark Twain, which at one time held a
manuscript of unknown length, almost certainly about Quarry Farm, titled
"The Farm Tragedy" by him in large pencil. Twain used this envelope as a
scrap piece of paper to draft a poem regarding immortality to Mrs. Thomas K.
Beecher, which he then wrote out the formal version on one rock of slate,
broken into three flat pieces (this precious rock is now in the Elmira
College collection). This all transpired on July 2nd, 1895 at Quarry Farm.
Later that day Twain presented the draft to Livy's friend Clara Spaulding,
and presumably kept "The Farm Tragedy," which still has not surfaced into
view of the public eye.

Twainiacally Yours,
Bob