From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2015 12:57:19 -0600
Folks, we tend to rehearse this debate every few years on here.
Personally, I have no problem with honoring a comic/ humorist, which is
what the prize is mostly about.  MT's name is attached to it:  our great
American humorist.  I used to get all in a lather when someone like Will
Ferrell or Ellen DeGeneres et al would win, even though far greater
achievements by the likes of Garrison Keillor or Carol Burnett were
overlooked.  (Burnett finally got it last year).  In the past, many others
have been named who never have won it, including Robin Williams.  And I'm
sure Woody Allen would also never appear, as with Vonnegut.

By the way, Peter Kaminsky, one of the producers and main people involved
in the award, was at the Elmira conference last time.  He even gave a
lecture, in which he showed clips from George Carlin, among other stuff.
He was interesting to listen to, no doubt.  Clearly, $$$$ is a major
concern.  In case anyone would like to make plans for next year, to honor
very possibly Amy Schumer or some other youngster, here are some options,
from the website:

Single tickets and sponsorship packages ranging from $500 to $50,000
feature an array of benefits, including an invitation to attend an
exclusive Artist Rehearsal Dinner with Mr. Murphy and other esteemed guests
at the $25,000 level and above. Packages begin at $5,000 and include the
festive pre-show dinner in a pavilion on the North Plaza, the tribute
performance and formal presentation of the Mark Twain Prize in the Concert
Hall, and a post-show reception with the cast.

(I won't be there)

-hb

Prof. Harold K. Bush
Professor of English