From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2018 08:55:08 -0500
Thanks Larry. That Thoreau quote reminds me of what I wrote in an essay on
Thoreau (posted in full at the Thoreau Institute website). The connections
between Twain and Thoreau don't begin and end with huckleberries. I wrote:

These two names are not often linked but they are literary kinsman just the
same. Both had a sly sense of humor, both lost brothers dear to them in
tragic accidents, both rebelled against slavery, both rejected war, and both
wrote books that transport the reader down life-changing rivers. They also
share the distinction of writing books that resonate so deeply that many
readers return throughout their lives to reread them . . . . Mark Twain may
have traveled further afield albeit less extensively than Thoreau, quarreled
more openly with God, lived larger and ambled across a wider stage, but both
lit out for the territory in their literary imaginations and envisioned an
America that would someday realize its promise.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive