From:
Martin Zehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2017 16:48:51 -0600
Twain demonstrates a decided predilection for the "nurture" side of the
argument in his writings, in pieces like "The Turning Point of My Life,"
"What is Man?," and declarations like "Circumstance is everything," which,
if memory serves, is from A Connecticut Yankee.  He was a friend of William
James, first president of the American Psychological Association, and
certainly subscribed to James's writings with respect to habit formation,
including ideas which would later become tenets of the behaviorist canon in
psychology. I have little doubt that, had he stuck around a bit longer,
Twain would have found he had much in common with the empirically-based
psychologists who called themselves behaviorists, e.g., J.B. Watson and
B.F. Skinner.
Martin