From:
"Lee, Judith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2021 14:53:28 +0000
Stanley dedicated the 1885 book to Leopold because the king had funded his expedition and because Stanley hoped for future funding and perhaps a gubernatorial appointment to the colony.

Quarry Farm has a copy, inscribed to Jervis Langdon, Jr., of Stanley’s first book, How I Found Livingston, which Clemens almost certainly read. As I describe in Twain’s Brand, he hosted Stanley in the Hartford house and sat through two lectures (Hartford and Boston) in 1886 when Stanley was touring the US to promote The Founding of the Congo and Its Free State.
Judith

Judith Yaross Lee, Ph.D.
Distinguished Professor Emerita

School of Communication Studies • Ohio University  • Schoonover Center 400  • Athens, OH 45701
Please request home address before mailing packages or important documents.

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  • https://www.ohio.edu/scripps-college/comm-studies/about/faculty-student/leej<http://www.coms.ohiou.edu/judith-yaross-lee>

My newest book: Seeing Mad: Essays on Mad Magazine’s Humor and Legacy (University of Missouri Press, October 2020)
<https://upress.missouri.edu/9780826222138/seeing-mad/>