From:
Peter Salwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2021 23:09:42 -0400
Stephen, just a few words of appreciation for your observations on
"Huckleberry Finn," which to my mind perfectly capture and summarize the
tricky, frustrating admixture of racist and fiercely anti-racist elements
in both the book and its author: the power and humanity of the raft scenes
on one hand, and on the other the regrettable minstrelsy & stereotyping in
the "Evasion" chapters, where, as you put it so eloquently, "the novel
betrays Jim, its anti-racist agenda, and its own greatness."

For the good stuff a lot of credit must go to the abolitionist Langdon
family, who somehow managed to achieve a wondrous transformation in the
unapologetic racist who came a-courting their daughter in 1868. But even
they couldn't work miracles, and for Twain, throwing in a little "darky"
humor must have looked like an obvious & perfectly OK way to get to the end
of a novel that was still refusing to finish itself after 10 years of work.

Damn shame, though. And it does leave us Twain lovers, and especially the
educators among us, with a real mess on our hands.