Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2011 17:12:07 -0500
It was a date. New Year's Eve, 1867.  Dickens performed at Steinway  Hall.
The Langdons were in New York and at Charley's  invitation Sam had called
on the
family earlier at the St. Nicholas  Hotel on December 27.

For a full account of the night that he said  "made the fortune of my
life..."
see Kaplan's "Mr. Clemens and Mark Twain,"  Simon and Schuster, NY,
1966, p. 65.

Roger Durrett
Charlotte, NC

In a message dated 12/1/2011 4:20:07 P.M. Eastern  Standard Time,