From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2023 19:57:11 -0700
I was unaware of this, not having read Paine's biography, but related in
Scharnhorst's "Early Years":

/He had been ill with cholera at Damascus, a light attack; but any
attack of that dread disease is serious enough. He tells of this in the
book, but he does not mention, either in the book or in his notes, the
attack which Dan Slote had some days later. It remained for William F.
Church, of the party, to relate that incident, for it was the kind of
thing that Mark Twain was not likely to record, or even to remember.
Doctor Church was a deacon with orthodox views and did not approve of
Mark Twain; he thought him sinful, irreverent, profane.//
//
//"He was the worst man I ever knew," Church said; then he added, "And
the best."//
//
//What happened was this: At the end of a terrible day of heat, when the
party had camped on the edge of a squalid Syrian village, Dan was taken
suddenly ill. It was cholera, beyond doubt. Dan could not go on—he might
never go on. The chances were that way. It was a serious matter all
around. To wait with Dan meant to upset their travel schedule—it might
mean to miss the ship. Consultation was held and a resolution passed
(the pilgrims were always passing resolutions) to provide for Dan as
well as possible, and leave him behind. Clemens, who had remained with
Dan, suddenly appeared and said://
//
//"Gentlemen, I understand that you are going to leave Dan Slote here
alone. I'll be d–d if I do!"//
//
//And he didn't. He stayed there and brought Dan into Jerusalem, a few
days late, but convalescent./

As this is not mentioned in Innocents Abroad, the chronology of the Long
Trip must be a bit inaccurate.  I'm wondering where and when this
actually occurred and when did Sam and Dan actually get to Jerusalem.

--
/Unaffiliated Geographer and Twain aficionado/