Sender:
From:
Kent Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2014 13:13:16 -0800
While reading about the 1938 film _The Adventures of Tom Sawyer_ on IMDB.com, I found a review that had been posted in 2004 by a Chinese university student who evidently majored in the English language. The review is a total delight and should brighten your day, so I'm appending it below.
____________________________________
I think "The adventures of Tom Sawyer" I saw is an old old movie. And I ever thought that it must be a specific one for children. However, I found out the movie nowadays also has its own particular attraction. I still remember that Tom's aunt and half-brother Sid have not satisfied with him. But Tom is real a kind of clever boy. He can often get away with the punishment. In a brilliant scheme, Tom is able to con the neighborhood boy into completing the task for him. Besides, the episode which is full of children love is very interesting. Tom immediately falls in love with Becky at the first sight who is the Judge's daughter. He does everything just for winning her love even he asks for "get engaged." Of course, it is arranged funny in the movie that he broke his relationship with Becky because he accidentally blusts that has been engaged before. Sometimes I can't help thinking about the fact how really mature Tom is. Also a romantic boy, right? Mentioned about honesty and courage. Tom indeed is a good example for all the children even for most of us adults. Because Tom and Huck are extremely scared that Injun Joe who is real the killer will attempts to seek revenge on them. According to Tom's sense of justice Tom decides to be the witness in the court. I think Tom does not want to burden the guilty consciences and then make up his mind to tell the truth to the town. Maybe most of us could not do that like Tom in the real situation. Therefore on the other hand, The adventures of Tom Sawyer is for all the people including children and adults. In this sense, Tom is our good example in the modern society. Although our society is boomer than before, existence of conscience is more necessary than before.

Guangxi University of Technology
Foreign Language Department English Major Class022

(reviewer's name omitted--KR)

_______________

I especially like the film review because it reminds me of this 1875 letter from a Danish fan I included in _Dear Mark Twain_:

Mr. Samuel L. Clemens alias Mark Twain:

Please to excuse that I fall with the door in the house, without first to begin with the usual long ribble-row. I want to become the autograph of the over alle the world well known Mark Twain, whose narratives so apt have procured me a laughter.

If you will answer this letter, I will be very glad. Answer me what you will; but two words. If you not will answer me other so write only, that you do not like to write autographs.

Your
Carl Jensen
Ans.
C. Jensen, custom officer
Stubbekjobing in Falster
Denmark
Europe

Mark Twain's marginal comment: "Preserve this remarkable letter."

Lest I seem cruelly insensitive, I'll confess that when I lived in South Africa many years ago, I wrote a long note in Afrikaans to the mail carriers that I pinned to the front door of my apartment. When an Afrikaner friend read that note, his uncontrollable laughter convinced me what I had written was not for public consumption, so I instantly destroyed it. I have no doubt that the syntax of my Afrikaans note was probably at about the same level as the syntax of the Chinese and Danish writers' notes.

Happy new year to all!

Kent Rasmussen
in sunny Southern California