Sender:
From:
Benjamin Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2020 11:13:02 -0700
During this time when we can't get at the Mark Twain Project materials,
it's impossible to be sure why or by what means Clemens went to Muskegon;
but I'd add that the Muskegon letter, which is known only from reprints in
books, is dateline "December," without date; that the MTP editors haven't
gotten to the 1884 letters yet; and that the date Dec. 14, while it may be
a preliminary guess or have some other basis, is plausible since Clemens
and Cable were in Grand Rapids on Dec. 13.

Ben Griffin
Mark Twain Project