From:
Terry Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2013 08:19:42 -0400
Here is a passage from "The Devil's Racetrack:Mark Twain's great dark
writings," published by the University of California Press in 1980:

Passage from "Glances at History" 375
This republic's life is not in peril. The nation has sold its honor for
a phrase. It has swung itself loose from its safe anchorage and is drifting,
its helm is in pirate hands. The stupid phrase needed help, and it
got another one: "Even if the war be wrong we are in it and must fight
it out: we cannot retire from it without dishonor." w'hy, not even
a burglar could have said it better. We cannot withdraw from this
sordid raid because to grant peace to those little people upon their
terms-independence would dishonor us. You have flung away
Adam's phrase- you should take it up and examine it again. He
said, "An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war."
You have planted a seed, and it will grow.
(early 1900s)

--

Terry Ballard
Author and Leisure Studies Manager