From:
Richard Reineccius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Reineccius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2014 12:34:13 -0800
I suspect everyone on the
"RAGE, RAGE AGAINST THE DYING OF THE LIGHT"

I suspect everyone on the Twain List knows the author of the above, but I was surprised this morning to find the quote below listed on the list as "-Unknown", in the age of the Internet and Internet2 !

-Richard R - San Francisco / East Bay

THE QUOTE

 “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,  chocolate in one hand wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!'" -Unknown (but several different persons were credited in a quick ASK.com quotes search)

First time I heard it was in a farewell speech by Steve Jobs, in Cupertino, CA, when his cancer was determined to be not curable, spoken with Woo Hoo!  replacing plain old WOW!,  used in what was most likely the real source:

(same search, different entry comment)
============================

The
quote is absolutely by Hunter S Thompson and it is from the book
"Gonzo". The book Gonzo was published in 2007, however it
is a collection of Thompson's 'Gonzo Papers', which he authored
between 1979 and 1994.

The exact quote is as follows:

“Life
should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S.
Thompson, "Gonzo"