From:
"Martin D. Zehr" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:47:11 -0700
Nast and Twain were acquaintances, at least, and Nast provided an illustration (?s) for Mark Twain's Autobiography and First Romance, a slim volume published in the early 1870s.  As I recall, the Nast contribution(s) had a non sequitur relationship with the text, which had a non sequitur relationship with Twain's life.  There was actually discussion of a joint tour of Twain and Nast, I believe this was Redpath's idea, with Nast drawing illustrations while Twain spoke, but, obviously, nothing came of the proposal.  Nast singlehandedly destroyed Boss Tweed, who reportedly was more upset with Nast's criticism than that of other critics, because Tweed's supporters, who couldn't read, could certainly divine the message of Nast's cartoons.  Nast also shared many of Twain's progressive views regarding politics and race, and of the treatment of immigrants, being one himself (Germany).

Martin Zehr
Kansas City, Missouri