From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2013 19:42:38 -0500
My response to rumors and supposotion is to ask for hard evidence. Show me
the postmarked envelope in which he sent his first letter signed as Mark
Twain.  Likewise, with the John Phoenix rumor, show me the piece signed by
John Phoenix (or any piece published anywhere signed with the name "Mark
Twain" before Sam used it).

I've searched extensive databases of newspapers all over the US from that
period (including the relevant CA papers and Mississippi River newspapers)
and there is not a single piece signed with the name "Mark Twain" or using
"mark twain" as a name of a character except for the piece in Vanity Fair, a
journal Twain read. Several scholars before me have searched the relevant
Mississippi River papers and CA newspapers with the same result. So, show me
a newspaper or magazine, or show me the postmarked envelope.

By the way, his first use of the name was not a piece published in Carson.
It was a piece written while he was in Carson and sent to Virginia City.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive