Sender:
From:
Harold Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:12:35 -0500
Ellen DeGeneres.  really? ? ? ?

Wow.  All due respect, but I'm wondering what some older folks like Carol
Burnett must be feeling right about now.  Surprising choice, given folks
like Letterman and Leno, or even Jon Stewart, have not gotten it yet....

Political correctness aside, I'm a bit confused about all this....  who, if
anyone in the "Twain scholarly community," are they consulting??  I DVR-ed
the event, and it is funny; but Wow!

 I recognize they are going for the ratings.  But I thought -- originally,
with the awarding of the likes of Jonathan Winters and Carl Reiner, Bob
Newhart and Lily Tomlin --  that it was meant to be some sort of lifetime
achievement award.  And the picture of the white-suit Twain on the website
seems to confirm this, along with the description of the award.

But I feel bad for the likes of Carol Burnett, or even David Letterman, who
reinvented the talk-show format.

Every year we hash this out a bit -- and maybe I'll get slammed for this
jeremiad -- but I just thought I would bring it up again and see if others
had any response.

-hb

--
Harold K. Bush, Ph.D