From:
Jerry Bandy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2014 20:18:07 -0700
I recall learning some time ago that in his retirement, Carson would
write material then send to Letterman to use on air.

I can't remember the source--a television documentary or a magazine
article--but it indicated that Carson had a strong relationship with
Letterman and that he was perturbed about Leno's selection over
Letterman's to replace him on The Tonight Show. Apparently Carson deemed
Letterman the worthier of the two potential successors.

For whatever that's worth...