Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 04:59:09 -0500
From one who passes Twain's home on Farmington AVenue every morning on the way
to work. . .
Thank you, CArla, for reminding me of those words of TWain about his home.
Largely because of its setting, a slight elevation above the street, Twain's
home retains much of that grace.  The other homes of Nook's Farm are also still
there, of course: the DAy House and the Harriet Beecher Stowe Home, both lovely
if considerably less--what??--"loud" in their benediction to Farmington Avenue.
The Director of the Mark Twain House, John Boyer, is very ambitious in his
plans for his house, working to get money to expand the grounds of the home and
to expand on the museum-type facilities (which are now housed in the home's
basement) available to it).  The docents who take people around the home are
generally well trained (it's a compulsory tour for my relatives and friends)
and quite knowledgeable about the life of the Clemens family in that house.  If
you're ever in the area, don't fail to take in this house!
Charles W. Darling
Wed, Jan 25, 1995---4:59 AM