From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2017 21:17:43 -0500
Hamlin Hill, _MT: God's Fool_ (pp. 268, 296) quotes the letter from a
photocopy at MTP:

"I think on general principles it is a mistake to let any one else write
about Mark Twain, as long as we can prevent it.... As soon as this is begun
(writing about him at all, I mean) the Mark Twain that we have
'preserved'--the Mark Twain that we knew, the traditional Mark Twain--will
begin to fade and change, and with that process the Harper Mark Twain
property will depreciate."