From:
David Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 12:11:28 -0500
My take--

 "Anti-church" - Maybe, mostly. Still, he remained close friends
with a few preachers.

 "Anti-religion" ? - Too simple, I wouldn't use the phrase.
Here's a man, not unlike Nietzsche, who was arguing with all things
spiritual and religious his whole adult life. A simply secular-minded
fellow would have put it all aside as so much illusion and delusion, and
many intellectuals started to do in his day.

A Job-like figure, is what I see. -- demanding an answer to the question
"Is misfortune always a divine punishment for something? "
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Job#Exegesis )

Were MT to have built a church, truly, it would be an interesting place
of worship indeed. ;-)

DDD

QOTD : "Post tenebras spero lucem" ("After darkness, I hope for light."
From the Vulgate of Job 17:12 - no longer regarded as an adequate
translation of the underlying Hebrew BTW).