From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1993 18:37:39 -0700
On Wed, 20 Oct 1993, robert a dagnall wrote:

> I tried to launch my first searches of the MT Forum database yesterday,
> using the six-line request template found in the MT Forum Survival
> Guide. However, all I got back was a notice that the "// JOB Echo=No"
> line was not correct as written. Have there been any corrections made to
> this?

Hmmm.  I'm not sure why this would happen.  I thought maybe LISTSERV was
being fussy about the spacing between the characters in the string, but I
just sent two searches with different spacings in the first line, and both
worked okay.  I used the following routine to search for the keyword
"barnum":

//   JOB    Echo=No
Database Search  DD=Rules
//Rules DD   *
search barnum in twain-l
print all
/*

Why not try it again, substituting your own keyword(s) for Barnum.  If
possible, cut the above six lines out of this message and save them as a
template (rather than typing them from scratch).  Perhaps there was a typo
elsewhere in your commands?

For subscribers who want more info on the database command, get the MT
Forum Survival Guide by sending a message to either
<[log in to unmask]> or <[log in to unmask]> containing the single
line "get survival guide twain-l".  Please be careful to send this command
(and other commands, e.g., database searches) to LISTSERV, not to TWAIN-L.

Let me know--via private message, rather than via the list--if LISTSERV
remains stubborn, and I'll investigate further.

Taylor Roberts
University of British Columbia