From:
Robert E Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2013 23:54:41 -0400
Sara, not knowing where you are located, I don't know what resources are
available to you. My recent work is mostly with Sam Clemens  during the 13
months he was in Nevada Territory before joining the  Enterprise staff. I have
never run across any Twain-Silverman  connection, but that doesn't mean
they didn't meet, particularly while he was in  San Francisco.

In Nevada State Archives:
Letter: Silversmith, Julius, To: Nye, James W., 1864 02 25.   Content:
Protest against H. C. Bennett re: publication  Type:  Personal  Note:
TERR-0110  001 [No address in the listing,  so I don't know but suspect it was
written in San Francisco.
I can visit Archives and copy the note--let me know if you want that.

Bennett was editor of the Virginia [City] Evening  Bulletin. Bennett wrote
three letters to Nye that have survived: Two  recommendations and one
rescinding a recommendation for a third man.

Silversmith is not in the first Directory of Nevada Territory,  1862, or in
Thompson & West's History of Nevada, 1881. He is  not in the published
history of newspapers in Nevada or of those  in California.

I do not know the date he published a book: A Practical Hand-book For
Miners, Metallurgist's, And Assayers, By Julius Silversmith: Comprising The Most
 Recent Improvements In The Disintegration, ... Ores Containing Gold,
Silver,  Copper, Tin,...

Nonetheless, Silversmith was editor of the Mining and Scientific  Press in
San Francisco from sometime in 1860-61 to October 1862, and  was a
California Commissioner of Deeds for Nevada Territory. On March 2,  1864, he was a
commissioner of deeds for NV Terr in New York City. In about 1872  it appears
he went to Chicago and published a Jewish newspaper.

But I am not so sure Nye "supported" him. See the article  by a friend of
Nye refuting the support letter
on California Digital Newspapers [ http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cdnc ] Daily  Alta
California, Volume 16, Number 5228, 26 June 1864 — A WORD FOR GOVERNOR  NYE

Bob Stewart

In a message dated 6/26/2013 7:25:56 P.M. Pacific  Daylight Time,