From:
James Edstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:48:29 -0600
The piece in question is in Chapter XLVII of The Innocents Abroad (the
chapter dealing with Jack's attempt to hear "the voice of the turtle in
the land.")  It reads in part:  "Jacob took advantage of Esau's consuming
hunger to rob him of his birthright and the great honor and consideration
that belonged to the position; by treachery and falsehood he robbed him of
his father's blessing; he made of him a stranger in his home, and a
wanderer.  Yet after twenty years had passed away and Jacob met Esau and
fell at his feet quaking with fear and begging piteously to be spared the
punishment he knew he deserved, what did that magnificent savage do?  He
fell upon his neck and embraced him!"

I found this passage by using the "Search" function in the "Twain's World"
CD-ROM for the first time, and it works amazingly well.  I knew I had seen
the passage before, but couldn't remember exactly where.--Jim Edstrom