From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 12:34:23 -0400
My Mark Twain site at About.com is about to be closed.  An
announcement went out today that it is one of 300 sites About.com
is closing in a major reduction and refocusing of its services.
Because of the nature of the cuts, they have encouraged all of us to
place our materials online elsewhere and I have moved most of the
content from the About.com site back to where it started from, the
original Mark Twain Resources on the World Wide Web site at

http://www.boondocksnet.com/twainwww/

Many of you probably remember that site from 1995-1997 before it
became the core of the About.com site.

Because I've been expecting this cut since April, I've already moved
all of the Twain texts, biographies, criticism, and political cartoons to
that site and have created updated guides to many of his major
writings.  If any of you were planning to refer students to those
materials, please use the new URLs so students' access wont be
interrupted when the About.com site is taken down.  Many of the
more substantive articles I wrote for the site have just been uploaded
there and I'll be working on getting the rest in place over the next
week or two so there wont be much of an interruption in their
availability.

Any of you who have never seen the BoondocksNet.com site might
want to look around.  Besides the Twain-specific materials, there are
a lot of contextual materials relevant to Twain's last years.  They
include in-depth sites on the anti-imperialist movement (with writings
by Howells, C. E. S. Wood, Carnegie, Carl Schurz, Dan Beard and
other friends) and the Congo Reform Association.  There's also a lot
of other more general material on the Gilded Age and Progressive
Era.

Jim

Jim Zwick
http://www.boondocksnet.com/