From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2013 13:33:19 -0500
Those old tall tales die hard: mark 1, mark 2, mark tyree, deep 4, no
bottom... blub, blub, blub...

Anybody who still believes the bar tab nonsense or Mark Twain's Capt Sellers
"confession" should read Guy Cardwell's 1975 article in NEQ 48:2, pp.
175-93. Anybody who thinks he picked it up off the Mississippi River during
his steamboating days should ask themselves why Clemens didn't just say that
instead of making up the story about Capt Sellers. Anybody who thinks Twain
was above fibbing or self-mythologizing needs to read the words of Huck Finn
about Mark Twain's veracity.

Twain wrote to his daughter Jean on Feb 25, 1907 saying he'd fallen on the
ice just before a reception and ripped his pants wide open and had to stand
in a reception line with his back to the wall as he greeted a room of 200
ladies. Jean wrote back a letter of concern to which Twain replied on March
5 "Oh dear child, what are you talking about? I didn't fall on the ice, I
only said I did. It is a great difference..."

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive