From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 May 1996 19:24:07 +0000
This is a much later use, but the _New York Evening Post_ used the
phrase in an editorial on "Our Philippine Balance-Sheet" during the
controversy generated by Twain's essay, "To the Person Sitting in
Darkness," on Feb. 6, 1901.  After providing a balance sheet of
"William McKinley in Account with the United States," the Post
stated: "Evidently 'there are millions in' the islands; but they are so
far 'in' that it may be doubted if we ever get them out."  The full
editorial is online at

http://web.syr.edu/~fjzwick/editors/nyep206.html

Jim Zwick