From:
Harriet Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2013 14:01:10 -0700
In the Mark Twain Project's edition of Roughing It(UC Press, 1993), the
explanatory notes for chapter 34 (on pp 631-32) explain the historical
background of the "Landslide Case" sketch, and refer the reader to
additional sources. "Nevada tradition and internal evidence suggest that
the mock trial, intended as an elaborate practical joke on Bunker
("Buncombe"), actually took place in Carson City sometime during the
first two weeks of February 1862, before the courts began their regular
session on 17 February (632, n. 223.18-19).

Harriet Smith, MTP editor