From:
Ian Strathcarron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2013 09:06:20 +0100
Yes, Broumana would be right, good views from high ground, right distance, so it all fits.
Beirut is the least recognisable city on his grand tour. My video starts, 'If you could transport Mark Twain back to any of the cities he had visited on the excursion so far, Paris, Milan, etc etc Athens Istanbul etc he would know immediately where he was. Not so in double or quits Beirut, right now doubling again...'
(And IMHO about to blow up again - but that's another forum)

On 10 May 2013, at 18:55, Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I do appreciate your efforts in this matter.  Your videos, ie
> MarkTwainHolyLand and Mark Twain Travel Trilogy seem to be locked behind
> an Apple app.  This must be something new as I had them book marked from
> previous visits.  The only video on YouTube I found credited to you was
> for Jerusalem.
>
> How does the location of Broumana sound to you for a first night stop.
> It appears to be a rather "upscale" sight, complete with a country club.
> It appears to be on a route going east from Beirut according to a David
> Rumsey map.  And I judge it to be a bit over 10 miles from Beirut.
>
> On Fri, 2013-05-10 at 06:57 +0100, Ian Strathcarron wrote:
>> Thanks for letting me know about YouTube, Scott, I'll look into it. The =
>> whole route was covered in video clips so I hope they haven't removed =
>> them all.
>>
>> That's right about the dirty Arab village, which is now not so dirty and =
>> not so Arab but has been totally swamped by Karak Nuah. I followed an =
>> old British Army map which made life really simple as there was only one =
>> caravanserai route from Beirut to Baalbek. If you go to Google Earth and =
>> overlay with the 1861 Rumsey Historical Map you can see the route =
>> through Zahle from which they excursioned although it's fuzzy. The =
>> chapel/madrassah is at 33 50' 38.72" N / 35 54' 45.36" E.
>>
>> By the way there was an earlier forum post about them spending the first =
>> night on top of Mount Lebanon. Mount Lebanon refers to a whole range =
>> running down the country and tops at 10,000 feet, so unlikely. If I =
>> remember the first night's stop is lost somewhere in new expensive =
>> suburbs. The video of Beirut explains and I'll try to sort it out on =
>> YouTube.
>>
>> Happy footstepping!

www.ianstrathcarron.com
Skype: strathcarron