From:
Stephen Railton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:50:39 -0400
Dear Forum--
        I'm writing to let you know about three new sections
we've added to *Mark Twain In His Times: An Electronic Archive*
("http:etext.lib.virginia.edu/railton").
        The first is a set of interactive maps, showing the locations
of most of Twain's American lectures (and including reviews of many
of them).  The page is called "Interactive Maps of Lecture Tours," in
the "LECTURES" subsection of the "MT ON STAGE" section of the archive
--the URL for the page itself is
("http:etext.lib.virginia.edu/railton/onstage/maps/tourmapsf.html")
        The second is in the "ROUGHING IT" section: an anthology of
contemporary images and excerpts from contemporary texts depicting the
"West."  That page is called "Mapping the West in Words and Pictures"--
("http:etext.lib.virginia.edu/railton/roughingit/map/rimaphp.html").
It already contains hundreds of images and scores of texts, but is still
in progress, and I'd love suggestions for other texts/images from 1860-
1873 to include.  The goal of this section is to give readers of "Roughing
 It" a sense of the other ways "the West" was being defined and created at
the time.
        The third addition just went online today, thanks to the expertise
and
generosity of Kevin Mac Donnell.  It's an exhibit of "Mark Twain
Collectibles" (the way American culture has used his image in everything
 from dolls to games to tourism to merchandizing, etc.), featuring over a
hundred items from Kevin's collection accompanied by his commentary.
        I hope some of you will find at least some of this material useful
and interesting.  If you spot any errors, or technical problems, or sources
of confusion, please let me know.  Thanks, Steve Railton