From:
Gayle Cowley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 1996 12:54:14 -0500
As an avid Twain fan and teacher, I have watched many of the films mentioned
in the recent review, and I have always been disappointed in their failure
to capture what I felt so strongly to be the essence of the novel.  Several
years ago, however, I attended a performance of Big River, stageplay by
William Hauptman, music and lyrics by Roger Miller, expecting to feel let
down as always.  I couldn't imagine how such an epic could be performed with
songs for two and a half hours and do anything other than annoy true
Twain-lovers.  I was wrong.  Big River, better than any film I've ever seen,
captures the pathos, the melodrama, the morality, and the humor of the
novel.  As a matter of fact, I am now in the process of directing the first
local community theatre performance of the show for Pensacola Little
Theatre, June 14-23, and I am more than ever excited about what this show
can teach.  True to Twain's language, the show has already brought a little
controversy here to the Bible Belt, but I have been able to cast a perfect
Jim and a perfect Huck.  Last night, at our first run-through rehearsal,
when they weren't even very good, my stage manager burst into tears three
times.  If you have a chance to see the show anywhere, do it.  If you can't,
buy the CD of the music.  I don't think anything on film can compare!

Gayle J. Cowley