Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2022 20:11:05 +0000
 I enjoyed Kevin's response. Quicksilver is another name for Mercury Chemical (symbol Hg). In those days it was easy to obtain at any pharmacy. When I was annotating the University of Nevada press book "The Gold Rush Letters of E. Allen Grosh & Hosea B. Grosh," I found it mentioned several times in the 1850s as an oral medication (swallowed alone). It didn't kill either of them, and they did not appear to be mentally affected by taking it. But it also seemed to be falling out of favor as a medication in the early 1850s. Despite today's fear of mercury, as kids in the 1940s we often played with it when a fever thermometer broke, which they often did. Dentists used an amalgam of silver and mercury to fill cavities, pressing out the mercury with a blunt hand implement.  Bob Stewart