From:
miki pfeffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2020 21:13:44 -0500
Thanks to those who responded to my question about the question of
politics. Plenty reading to do, I see (as always).
I appreciate the short unsourced version, too, for that's what I found
myself searching for in the interview.

Hmmm. I ponder Hal Bush's question about whether or not my double question
is valid.
I take my cue from Grace King letters in which distinguished the private
family man and friend from the public persona.
In some cases, she appreciated "Mr. Clemens" even more than the wildly
entertaining "Mark Twain," although she knew he slipped back and forth. She
respected his "vigorous intellect,"
His performing self must have had an escape hatch (a cover), but Grace and
Livy hinted that he might have wanted some views held closer to the vest.
On the other hand, S. L. Clemens wrote to Grace that he couldn't "lie"
convincingly when she asked him to apologize to her friend (who translated
"Jumping Frog" into French and which he then translated the French back
into English).

Can we extrapolate politics from fiction? Aren't writers trying out various
"truths"?
What stage of a writer's life shall we choose when replying in the moment
about his/her politics?
Grace's own last word on herself (her memoir) is very different from her
letter-writing self.
And what of triangulation?   (Sam Clemens "kissed up"?!)

Oh dear, I'm wandering into too many questions.
Time to read now.
Miki