From:
Harold Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 09:04:00 -0500
Jerry; I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about, but my response goes
something like this:

the notions of best and worst are curious, especially when describing
someone who has become a sort of totem.  Any subject that we get too close
to, almost inside of.  I don't mean to deconstruct your question, simply to
point out that my list changes all the time.

for instance, sometimes students ask, who is your favorite author?  what's
the best Beatles album?  best Bob Dylan album??  favorite basketball player,
favorite guitarist?  but I'm so close to all those things, it's hard to
argue against any of it.  I just hardly know where to begin.

currently, I'll go with Old Times, and some of the later essays like My
First Lie, and certain marvelous sections in the European travel narratives,
like Florence, Heidelberg or Mt. Blanc; and currently Rubber Soul & Hard
Day's Night;  and Bringin' It All Back Home and Another Side of BD, and New
Morning. (Tiny Archibald, Pistol Pete; Phil Keaggy, Jeff Beck)

Worst?  that is a big can of worms for MT.  He wrote a lot of lousy stuff
with gleams of brilliance.  pick a book and I'll probably find some
problems, it's hardly just Joan of Arc.  (same with Dylan and Keaggy)

Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Saint Louis University