John Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 22:48:48 -0400
Perhaps someone else has a citation for the following, for I do not at this
time, but if I misremember not, Twain, referring to one of the scenes in *A
Modern Instance *in which the protagonist, Bartley Hubbard, is drunk and
falls, asked author/friend W.D. Howells if he had based Hubbard in that
episode upon Twain, and Howells answered yes.

--
John H. Davis, Ph.D.
Professor of English