Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From: Harold Hellwig <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 22:12:19 -0700
I'll be teaching this novel this semester, so this has been an illuminating
discussion, and I thank the members of the Forum for their insights.  I'm
using the latest edition, and I'm not censoring any class discussion that
might follow.  I agree completely with Jocelyn, of course.  I think we need
to confront the history of the text along with the history of the times.

I had a student this fall semester object by way of email to L.A.
Confidential, a text I incorporated into something termed Literature of the
American West (using The Octopus, Roughing It, The Handyman, The Big Sleep,
and a bland text called The Vineyard, among other texts).  Too many bad
words, apparently.  The class uniformly disliked The Octopus, and seemed to
like The Vineyard, a text I found useful for some historical contexts of
Prohibition and an appreciation of vineyard culture, but not a great text.
They had some good reasons, though I'm not yet persuaded.

I suggested she drop the course, though I struggled with the idea of letting
her read something else, but without the bad words.  She stuck it out,
including reading The Handyman, which ought to have horrified her in some
ways.  I'm sure her parents and her cultural background had something to do
this; she seemed quite honest in her revulsion of Ellroy's text.  I doubt
that I'll see her again, but I wouldn't recommend that she read many
contemporary works.  I can't imagine that she watches True Blood or even Law
and Order on television, but I think I can accept her background and
apparent uneasiness about the language which surrounds us in so many ways, a
language that even Twain might find offensive at times.  I don't have to
change her, but I can continue to challenge my students with the reality of
American society, past and present.

If I had to censor some of the texts I use in class, I'd have little to
offer after awhile.  What would happen if I stop teaching O'Brien's The
Things They Carried?  Or any text that might offend?  Yes, we'll be reading
Howl, and I'll point out the one reference to Idaho in that great poem (no
student has every objected); I'm more annoyed at the politics of Pound and
sexism in Hemingway (both claimed to be Idaho writers), and yet I'll teach
them also.

Hal Hellwig