From:
Lawrence Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:38:18 -0700
RE: Artemus Ward

Not only did Ward play a role within the environment of Twain's early
career.  Twain announced his connection to Ward explicitly in his inaugural
"Jim Smiley and His Jumping Frog."  The frame for this tale is a letter
Twain wrote to "Mr. A. Ward" acknowledging that Ward had directed him to
look up Leonidas W. Smiley--which the writer now suspects was a practical
joke, a premise by which Twain would be subjected to Simon Wheeler's
storytelling.

Of course, the original query from the New Guy (there's a sobriquet that
works, I suggest that its owner make the most of it) was about the
influence of Charles Brockden Brown on Twain, of which I know none, unless
you count an indirect influence by way of Poe.  I doubt that C.B. Brown was
even in print during Twain's life, or even mentioned in the latter half of
the 19th century for Twain to have been aware of him.

--LH