Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2021 11:24:58 -0500
I certainly agree with Shelley's comment. Thanks, Mark. Your tribute is so
full and varied. It takes me back through my own personal experiences with
Holbrook--seeing him in person several times, and being in the room at the
Elmira conference when he stood up and made the comments captured in your
audio. And then standing with him and all of us, up at the study site that
night. And more. Thanks again. I'll use it in class. Students will be taken
with it. It resonates, and then resonates some more. It captures Holbrook,
capturing Twain, telling the truth. Personally touching, as Matt says. And
thanks to Matt for putting it out for us to see and hear.

Terry

Virus-free.
<#m_-1707838790272259702_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 10:58 AM Shelley Fisher Fishkin <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> “Thank you, Mark” seems a reductive expression of gratitude for this
> eloquent and moving tribute. It is such a gift that you were able to convey
> the appreciation of so many of us at that conference in Elmira when Hal was
> present, enabling him  to hear how much he meant to us, and how much he had
> changed our lives. You were a wonderful friend to him and he appreciated
> you. You have also been a great friend to Mark Twain—and all of us. And we
> appreciate you, too!
> Shelley
>

> ===============================
> Shelley Fisher Fishkin
> Joseph S. Atha Professor of Humanities; Professor of English, and
> Director of American Studies, Stanford University
> Mail: Department of English, Bldg. 460, 450 Serra Mall, Stanford
> University, Stanford, CA 94305-2087
> https://english.stanford.edu/people/shelley-fisher-fishkin
>

> On Feb 9, 2021, at 6:52 AM, Matthew Seybold <[log in to unmask]<mailto:
> [log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
> I have read number Holbrook obituaries this past week, as I expect many of
> you have. None has come close to being as comprehensive, much less as
> personally touching, as Mark Dawidziak's:
>

> https://marktwainstudies.com/hal-holbrook-an-appreciation-an-obituary-a-remembrance-a-friendship/
>
> --
> Matt Seybold
> Assistant Professor of American Literature & Mark Twain Studies
> Elmira College
> Editor, MarkTwainStudies.org
> MattSeybold.com

Virus-free.