From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:43:05 -0500
On 7/28/04 11:16 AM, "Jay Dillon" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> The same is almost undoubtedly true for
>>  Lincoln.
>
> Sound recording did not exist during Lincoln's lifetime.

Not according to that article:  "Fadeyev explained that Lincoln (1809-1865)
is believed to have made a recording on a phonoautograph, a device invented
before Edison's experiments in sound."

By the way, when I did look into the supposed sound recordings that were at
Yale, I believe that there is still some uncertainty about certain tapes
having been mis-titled or labeled.  It is possible that some recordings that
we do know of were actually Twain, and not the impersonators that they are
now attibuted to.

Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Saint Louis University