From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 18:00:20 -0500
The Mark Twain Forum needs a reviewer for the following book:

     Valentine-Fonorow, Billie.  _Was It Heaven Or Hell?: The Triumphs
     and Torments of Mark Twain_.  Lisle, IL: Fonorow and Associates,
     1995.  Pp. 199.  Paper, 5-3/4" x 8-3/4".  $16.95.  ISBN
     0-964-45570-6.

     50 percent discount to Forum members, while supplies last; the
     price is thus $8.45 plus shipping.  Order from Fonorow and
     Associates, Inc., P.O. Box 3097, Lisle, IL 60532, toll-free
     (800) 894-9025, telephone (708) 416-1438, fax (708) 416-1309.

The blurb on the back of the book describes it as "a fast-moving,
concentrated chronicle of Mark Twain's remarkable life and work.  It
contains numerous excerpts from his writings and speeches--the
ascerbic [sic] along with the hilarious."

Because of its wide coverage, the reviewer should possess a fairly good
knowledge both of MT's works and the pivotal events of his life.  This
book seems unlikely to contain new information, and indeed may contain a
good deal of misinformation, which the reviewer should be competent to
recognize.

As usual, the review must be of publishable quality, and it would be due
within two months of your receipt of the book (i.e., mid-May 1996).  The
deadline is particularly important, as we are making every effort for
Forum reviews to appear before print reviews.  If you are inclined to
procrastinate, please don't offer to review the book.

If you're interested in writing this review, please send me both your
home and institutional mailing addresses and phone numbers.  If I don't
already know you, it would be helpful for you to explain in what respect
you're qualified to write this review.  (If we haven't exchanged e-mail
recently, it might be a good idea for you to remind me of this info.)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Coordinator, Mark Twain Forum