From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2016 09:11:44 -0600
I concur with Martin's suggestion and for the same reasons. If you want a
more detailed answer you can read my reviews for both of those books in the
Mark Twain Forum review archives.

I would add that the truth of the matter regarding Twain's last years is
probably somewhere in between what is depicted in Shelden's book and Ham
Hill's earlier work. Twain's spirit may have been unsinkable but that does
not mean he didn't have lows in his life, especially in the last ten years.
It was a mixture of private angers, public honors, endless parties and
dinners and speeches, fewer sustained writings except when ranting, and rave
reviews.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books