From:
Moshe Segal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:36:05 -0800
Thanks for the information.  Being blind, and not having access to printed
material until I scan it, I normally look online.  A Yahoo search led me to
the text of "Among the Indians", but I could only find critical reviews of
"Tom Sawyer's Conspiracy",  I got an idea from those, but would still like
to get my hand on the text for the sake of completion.  Until I read a
review of Conspiracy, the title sounded what TS Abroad would have turned
into if Huck and Tom would have been allowed to finish their trip to
England or some other part of Europe.  Tom's idea of starting a crusade,
particularly in a post-Medieval, Protestant country, and especially
considering his apparent attitude toward religion in Tom Sawyer seems to
reveal a conspiratorial attitude.  If "...Among the Indians had seen the
light of normal publication, it would make it pretty clear why the
expression "honest Injun" seems not to be used in Abroad and
Detective.  Additionally, after Huck witnesses the massacre by Indians of
an entire family that was good to him, I wonder how he could embrace the
Native American faith.

But the addition of these books leave some loose ends untied from
Huckleberry Finn.  The last thing Huck tells us is that he needs to get
away because Sally is planning on "civilizing" him.  Apparently, she
changes her mind, because we know from Indians that she sends him back to
St. Petersburg with Tom.  What is not dealt with, however, is how he (if he
does so) dodge the Widow Douglas.  In fact, in the latter completed novels,
though Huck is the narrator, he speaks nothing of his living
conditions.  In Detective, it is taken for granted that he will go with Tom
back to Silas and Sally.  Are we to deduce that Huck is living with the
Widow, even though his absence in the balloon episode does not cause her
any apparent concern as Tom's does to Polly?  Or is he now living with Tom
and his siblings?  Even that seems unlikely, as Aunt Polly never seemed the
tipe to take in outsiders.  Or are we to take for granted that he has gone
back to his hogsheads and doorsteps, but with the added benefit of partial
literacy?

As far as retaining Huck as a narrator, I could venture to guess that Twain
wishes to describe Tom's actions from the point of view of someone outside
of society.  Or possibly, he is to be used, particularly in TS Detective in
a role simple to Dr. Watson in Doyle's Sherlock Holmes cases.

All this asside, if you could indicate where I can find the online text of
Conspiracy, if it exists, I would appreciate it.  Alternately, I guess I
could wait until I have the means to purchase the U of C release, which
will give me the benefit of the other works and the notation.  Thanks.

Moshe