Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:03:10 -0400
From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
A reporter during the Twain-Cable tour 1884–85 began the interview by
stating that "Mr. Clemens had before him a half emptied bottle of Bass'
pale ale."

Clemens must have liked it, because by the end of the meeting, "Mr. Twain
Looked at his bottle. It was empty. He then gazed sorrowfully upon it" and
excused himself to go to bed.

("The Humorists Interviewed," Cincinnati Enquirer, 3 Jan 1885, reprinted as
#30 in Scharnhorst's _Complete Interviews_)

Tx T